24.1 C
Basseterre
Monday, February 6, 2023
HomeNewsLocal NewsAG Wilkin gives update on coroner’s inquests into two high profile deaths

AG Wilkin gives update on coroner’s inquests into two high profile deaths

spot_img

By Devonne Cornelius

St. Kitts and Nevis (WINN): The coroner’s inquests into two high-profile deaths in 2020 are ongoing so notes Attorney General and Minister of Justice and Legal Affairs, the Hon. Garth Wilkin. 

Attorney General Wilkin provided an update on the matter during the Prime Minister’s first press conference for 2023 on Wednesday, January 18. 

“I spoke to the Commissioner[of Police] this morning. The coroner’s inquest – the first one in relation to the young man at customs – began last year and it was adjourned over the holidays and it will continue. When that one is completed in the Magistrate Court then the other inquest will then proceed.”

 More than two years ago on September 22, 2020, the police released a statement that “Resident Pathologist, Dr. Adrian Nunez, performed an autopsy on the body of Andrew Douglas of Molineaux on Monday, September 21, 2020. Dr. Nunez concluded that death was as a result of severe traumatic brain injury caused by a single gunshot wound to the head.”

The 21-year-old Customs Officer was found dead at Customs Department Thursday, September 17, 2020, after police responded to a report of a shooting after 1:00 pm. 

A Police statement Friday, September 18, 2020, said, Andrew Douglas was found with a single gunshot to the head and he was taken to the JNF General Hospital where he died.

In February 2022, Commissioner of Police Hilroy Brandy told WINN, “we are ready. There were some delays in getting back some forensic testing. They have arrived and any moment now we should be able to proceed when the Magistrate’s Court sets the date and time for the coroner’s inquest.”

A similar update was provided by Commissioner Brandy on January 07, 2022. 

The circumstances of the Customs Officer’s death sparked widespread public concern and speculation and questions remain unanswered about the incident.

Stonefort resident Sandra Adams, 59, was found “unresponsive” at her home on September 26, 2020, with a cord around her neck, according to police. Her death was ruled a suicide but questions remain about the circumstances of her death.

WINN will continue to follow this developing story. 

spot_img
spot_img
spot_img

Most Popular

spot_img
Advertisement
Contact a Program
If you are interested in a program or advertising, send us a message.
Send Message
Signup for our Newsletter
We'll only be in touch when we've something exciting to share.
We never share your details
No thanks
Subscribe