by Kareem Smith
(Barbados Today) – State agencies and non-governmental organisations struggled on Wednesday to locate 34 Haitians who had been thrown out from their apartments the day before.
Minister of People Empowerment and Elder Affairs Kirk Humphrey revealed that officials from the Child Care Board had been combing the areas around Wanstead Gardens, St James to inquire about the well-being of the eight minors and a pregnant woman in the group.
Meanwhile, Barbados’ Ambassador to CARICOM David Comissiong said a local branch of MPH, the agency contracted to take the Haitians to South America, is still working to complete their travel arrangements.
However, the Haitian Association of Barbados wants provisions made for the group to live and work in Barbados as they called for a thorough investigation into the “very strange” circumstances under which they were allowed to enter the country.
One of the directors of the association, attorney-at-law Pearlie Drakes, said he was trying to locate the Haitians and find short-term accommodation for them simultaneously.
“I will assure you that under no circumstances will they be allowed to be on the streets or to be wandering about and not knowing exactly what they are going to do,” Drakes told Barbados TODAY.