CNN — Queen Margrethe II of Denmark has apologized after removing the royal titles of four of her eight grandchildren. She’s not changing her mind about the move, however.
The 82-year-old monarch, who earlier this year celebrated half a century on the throne, announced on Thursday that from next year the children of her younger son, Prince Joachim, will no longer be known as prince and princess.
Instead, they will only be able to use their titles of counts and countess of Monpezat and will be addressed as excellencies, as their HRH titles will be “discontinued,” according to the royal household.
Helle von Wildenrath Løvgreen, press secretary to Countess Alexandra, the former wife of Prince Joachim, told CNN on Thursday that Joachim and his children were “sad” and “shocked” by the decision, which Queen Margrethe views “as a necessary future-proofing of the monarchy,” according to a statement from the Queen released by the royal house on Monday.
“In recent days, there have been strong reactions to my decision about the future use of titles for Prince Joachim’s four children. That affects me, of course,” the monarch said in the statement.