(Al Jazeera) Rescue aircraft and ships have scoured the sea north of Bali in Indonesia as the hunt for a missing Indonesian submarine with 53 crew on board reached a critical phase due to limited supplies of oxygen aboard the 44-year-old vessel.
More navy ships left the Indonesian base of Banyuwangi early on Friday to head to the Bali Sea where contact was lost with the KRI Nanggala-402 on Wednesday during a torpedo drill.
“The main priority is the safety of the 53 crew members,” President Joko Widodo said late on Thursday, calling for an all-out effort to find the vessel.
Helicopters also flew from Bali at first light.
Officials have said the air supply of the submarine, which had been cleared for use and was said to be in good condition, would last only until Saturday.