(Demerara Waves) The Guyana Police Force Thursday night said four suspects in the brutal killing of two youths in the backlands of West Coast Berbice were expected to be released on station bail.
Police said 72 hours have expired and the quartet would be released on station bail and required to report to investigators on Friday “as the probe continues.” Guyana’s constitution prohibits longer police detention without a High Court order.
Police Force spokesman, Assistant Commissioner Royston Andries-Junor did not immediately say how many persons remained in police custody, how much bail was been granted and whether the four were actually released from custody.
Up to Wednesday, seven persons had been in police custody in connection with the slaying of Isaiah Henry and Joel Henry and the discovery of their bodies on a coconut estate at Cotton Tree Village, West Coast Berbice. The owner of the coconut estate, his son and a handyman had been arrested in the early stage of the probe followed by the arrest of several coconut vendors.
Friday is the second straight day that police have not briefed the media on the progress of their investigations.