St Kitts and Nevis (WINN): CARICOM countries are opting out of a ‘travel bubble’, agreed last month, as cases of COVID-19 continue to rise in territories previously identified as being a part of that arrangement, according to Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda Mr. Gaston Browne
“… St Lucia within the last week I am told would have had over 34 new cases of COVID. So it’s evident that St Lucia now has community spread and what that has done is now forced a change within the travel arrangement in CARICOM so whereas a few weeks ago we agreed on a CARICOM travel bubble, the bubble has burst!” he said while speaking on Pointe FM in Antigua and Barbuda on Saturday (Oct 31).
On September 18, a CARICOM Bubble with Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia and St. Vincent and the Grenadines was announced.
Citizens of the approved countries would move freely, without required COVID-19 tests and a quarantine period, within the CARICOM Travel Bubble, CARICOM said.
St. Kitts and Nevis did not implement the measure and kept its borders closed to commercial flights until Saturday (October 31).
Local officials are said to be monitoring the CARICOM Travel Bubble situation and an announcement is anticipated shortly.