by Alecia Smith (Jamaica Observer) The on-again, off-again sore issue of regulating vending at school gates was revived on Monday when more than 60 Ocho Rios Primary School students were rushed to St Ann’s Bay Hospital after consuming sweets laced with THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), a compound found in marijuana.
Up to late evening seven of them were still hospitalised. But, according to hospital CEO Dennis Morgan, they were in stable condition.
Earlier in the day, the hospital was the scene of chaos as a school bus pulled up with children who could barely stand. Shortly after 5:00 pm when the Jamaica Observer spoke with Ocho Rios Primary School Principal Suzette Barnes-Wilson she was concerned about three of the children who were still being treated in the emergency room.
Barnes-Wilson said that the children got sick after consuming the sweets which they reportedly purchased from a vendor who is not known or connected to the school.