24.1 C
Basseterre
Monday, May 10, 2021
HomeNewsLocal NewsMulti-Million Dollar Hospital Expansion Project Continues on Nevis

Multi-Million Dollar Hospital Expansion Project Continues on Nevis

spot_img

by Devonne Cornelius

St. Kitts and Nevis (WINN): Works are continuing at the Alexandra Hospital Expansion Project says Premier of Nevis and Senior Minister of Health, the Hon. Mark Brantley.

Mr. Brantley in response to a question posed by WINN, stated that the EC$19 million project had been delayed for a year as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The external works are now complete, the shell is now done, the roof and the walls. My understanding is that we’ve selected some consultants who are in the process of reconfiguring the interior and that is necessary because hospitals are a unique type of building…and once that process is complete, I expect that construction will continue…,” the Senior Health Minister said, adding that they are “also in the process of sourcing the equipment for the new wing and that new wing is over 60,000 sq ft.”

The Nevis Island Administration broke ground in May 2017 for the multimillion-dollar project, which is jointly funded by the Sugar Industry Diversification Fund (SIDF) and the administration. The first phase of the project is $12 million, with a $7 million grant from the SIDF. The second phase is estimated to cost $7 million. The first and second phases of the project entailed mobilising the contractors and purchasing the building’s steel frame.

Contractors for the project are Clive Evelyn and Edrick “Wedge” Pemberton, while the project manager is Billy Claxton.

 

 

spot_img
Advertisement

Most Popular

Advertisement
Contact a Program
If you are interested in a program or advertising, send us a message.
Send Message
Signup for our Newsletter
We'll only be in touch when we've something exciting to share.
We never share your details
No thanks
Subscribe