(Al Jazeera) Almost one million people are facing severe hunger in northern Mozambique where a worsening conflict has driven hundreds of thousands from their homes, the United Nations agency has warned.
ISIL-linked fighters last month attacked Palma, a town in the gas-rich province of Cabo Delgado, sending residents scattering towards all directions in a desperate attempt to reach safety. It was the latest attack by an armed group known locally as al-Shabab that has been plundering towns and villages since 2017.
On Tuesday, the World Food Programme (WFP) said in a briefing in Geneva that 950,000 people were now hungry in Mozambique.
“Families and individuals have had to abandon their belongings and livelihoods and flee for safety … adding to an already desperate situation in northern Mozambique,” said Tomson Phiri, a WFP spokesman.