by Devonne Cornelius
St. Kitts and Nevis (WINN): An investigation was launched by the Royal St. Christopher and Nevis Police Force on the heels of wanton destruction of crops and livestock by intruders on Nevis.
In seeking an update, WINN posed the question to Premier Brantley at his February 25 press conference.
“I do not have an update on that. What I can say is that I have convened a meeting…and the Permanent Secretary [in the Premier’s Ministry] Mr. Wakely Daniel along with the Police because the Police have said they have grown frustrated with the number of complaints that they keep receiving. So we have convened two meetings now. One here at the conference room with the farmers and the second actually at the farm.”
Sometime between January 24-25, a farmer from the Cotton Ground area in Nevis had his livestock maliciously killed by intruders, however, the Premier provided no update on the investigation regarding that matter.
Crops on the farm of Mr. Keith “Keebo” Wade in the Fountain Village area in Nevis, were destroyed by intruders sometime between Monday night and early Tuesday morning (January 18-19).
Former Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Agriculture on Nevis, Dr. Kelvin Daly, visited the ransacked farm and conducted an interview with the owner.
In the 12-minute interview that made the rounds on social media, “Keebo” explained that crops lost include Banana, Mango, Pear, Coconut, Breadfruit, Soursop, and Papaya.
“Keebo,” said it is not the first time his farm has been attacked, and he had previously lodged several complaints with the police and top government officials but nothing has changed.
Some 250 ft of pipe was previously stolen but eventually recovered, and, on another occasion, the fence of his farm was cut resulting in stray animals eating all of his crops, the irate farmer complained.