(BBC News) – India and China are to pull back troops from part of their disputed Himalayan border in what’s seen as a breakthrough following a deadly clash in June.
India’s defence minister said the move to withdraw troops in Ladakh was the result of “sustained talks” between the nuclear-armed neighbours.
His remarks came a day after a similar announcement from China.
Tensions have been high since the clash that left 20 Indian soldiers dead and a number of reported Chinese fatalities.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh told India’s parliament that since September, both sides had been communicating through military and diplomatic channels. He said that after nine rounds of meetings between senior military commanders, “we have been able to reach an agreement on disengagement in the north and south bank of the Pangong Lake”.
A spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of National Defence said on Wednesday that a “synchronised and organised disengagement” from Pangong Tso lake had started. Colonel Wu Qian said the disengagement was in accordance with consensus reached by both sides at during military commander-level talks.
Indian and Chinese troops have been facing off on the north and south shores of the glacial lake that lies in territory claimed by both sides.