24.1 C
Basseterre
Wednesday, September 28, 2022
HomeNewsLocal NewsPossible COVID-19 exposure closes Nevis’ Ministry of Education

Possible COVID-19 exposure closes Nevis’ Ministry of Education

spot_img

by Devonne Cornelius

St. Kitts and Nevis (WINN): The Ministry of Education on Nevis was forced to close its Marion Heights office early Friday (Sep.03) due to a possible COVID-19 outbreak within that government office. 

In a press release issued Friday afternoon, the ministry said “our offices will be closed for the remainder of today, September 03, 2021, until further notice”. 

“Members of staff, as well as staff at potentially affected institutions, will be tested as a precautionary measure,” the ministry said.

Parents and students earlier this week were assured that schools on Nevis will commence face-to-face learning on Monday, September 06, 2021, but in the Friday afternoon press release the ministry said “further information in relation to the reopening of schools will be communicated shortly.”

Amidst high COVID-19 cases, and infections averaging more than 30 per day, St. Kitts and Nevis’ Ministry of Education said teachers and students will be returning to the classroom next week.

Across the region where some islands are also experiencing higher COVID-19 infection rates, officials have taken the decision to commence the new school year with teachers and students in a virtual setting instead of face-to-face learning. 

Those countries are St. Lucia which has 2,058 active cases; Dominica which has 618 active cases; Antigua and Barbuda which has 357 active cases; and Grenada which has 599 active cases. 

As of September 03, 2021, St. Kitts and Nevis’ active COVID-19 cases stand at 502.

 

spot_img
spot_img
spot_img

Most Popular

spot_img
Advertisement
Contact a Program
If you are interested in a program or advertising, send us a message.
Send Message
Signup for our Newsletter
We'll only be in touch when we've something exciting to share.
We never share your details
No thanks
Subscribe