By Devonne Cornelius
St. Kitts and Nevis (WINN): The matter of ‘fair share’ with proceeds from the Citizenship By Investment (CBI) Programme continues to be a main topic of discussion for the Nevis Island Administration (NIA) according to Premier and Minister of Finance the Hon. Mark Brantley.
The matter of fair share of the CBI proceeds was raised by the media during the February 24 press conference of Premier Brantley.
“In so far as the CBI, that’s always a vexed question for me because you are absolutely correct that in 2021 when the country and the world was still in the grips of this pandemic, that St. Kitts and Nevis had a windfall so far as CBI was concerned and we earned north of $500 million from CBI.”
Premier Brantley says he continues to raise the matter of Nevis getting its fair share of the CBI proceeds with Prime Minister and Minister of Finance the Hon. Dr. Timothy Harris and hopes that the matter can be resolved.
“I can say it because it is the fact that Nevis got no more than it always got and so Nevis got the same amount from the proceeds of CBI in 2019, in 2020, and 2021 and that is $3.57 million per month. It is a matter that I have raised with the Honourable Prime Minister because for me and the island of Nevis, it is unacceptable and I’ve raised that and I’ve said that this can’t be how the country is going to function going forward…”
The CBI program in St. Kitts and Nevis was launched in 1984 and grants citizenship and a passport through donation or real estate investment to qualified applicants.
“…you know there is a lot of chatter about how much Nevis is getting and I keep saying that is not the correct question. The correct question is ‘does what Nevis gets represent a fair allocation of this national resource?’ which is the CBI industry and the proceeds from CBI and I am very firm about that, that the people of Nevis cannot be short-changed in terms of a sharing on the CBI programme.”