by Eulana Weekes
St. Kitts and Nevis (WINN): Risk assessments, precaution measures and contingency plans were put in place prior to the start of the 25th St. Kitts Music Festival said Assistant Commissioner of Police Mr. Adolph Adams.
For this year’s event, a number of agencies came together and formed a Safety and Security Management Team, which involves members from the St.Kitts-Nevis Defence Force, the Royal St.Christopher and Nevis Police Force, St. Kitts and Nevis Fire and Rescue Services, the medical fraternity, Red Cross and the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA).
Adams said, the team is working collectively “to provide comprehensive protection and assistance for all festival attendees”.
At the St.Kitts Music Festival Press Conference on Monday, June 19 2023, Adams declared that no evidence of threat to any individual or groups had been identified.
“We have done our risk assessment and threat assessment and I can safely say that there are no specific threats identified or directed to any individual or groups that would be participating in our Music Festival and so that is a plus for us. However, with the new focus on security and the emphasis on Global terrorism, security is always a concern and so we are not taking any chances anywhere. Security, crowd control and public safety could never be over emphasised, and so, our job there would be to ensure that our patrons, our VIP’s, our artists, and everybody remains safe.”
However, ACP Adams did not deny some potential risks that can occur; including medical emergencies, domestic crimes, stage fires, stage collapse, traffic accidents and congestion. The police officer added that a smoother safety and security effort is possible with a collaborative effort.
“The festival venue will be under constant surveillance and monitoring to ensure the safety and security of the premises, equipment attendees during and after the event, ” ACP Adams stated. He further mentioned that police will be looking for signs of crimes and trespassers.
As it relates to traffic, motorists are encouraged to leave home early to prevent the rush and adhere to all the traffic regulations.
“I would [like] to encourage all to be early and avoid some of the congestion that we anticipate that might happen. I am anticipating that the whole of St.Kitts and the whole of Nevis will be coming to the Festival. So in order to get to Warner Park, there would be some level of congestion, so I am encouraging people to even leave home at 6:00 pm, So at least, you could be there on time and avoid some of the rush that we will encounter.”
He added “To encourage vehicular circulation around the venue and the ease of parking, Traffic flow on Victoria Road will be turned into a one way. The traffic direction will flow from South to North. When you get to the top, you will turn either left or right as vehicular traffic on Taylor’s Range will be flowing both ways. When it comes to East Park Range, it’s one way. You will be travelling from North to South on that road. For those of you who may understand. There is a small road above the NHC, that road will only be a one way as well and you can only travel from left to east on that road. Lozack Road would be restricted. There will be no traffic flowing on that road except for Members of Cabinet or shuttles for VIP. So that road will be restricted for regular vehicular traffic. We would also have public parking for the general patrons. Basseterre High School would be available for general parking. The parking lot at the football field up at Beach Allen area would be for VIP parking. All of the other roads in Basseterre will be available for parking, but you would be parking there at your own risk.”
ACP Adams assured the public that police will be on patrol around the vicinity. However, for the specified areas of parking, security will be present to ensure that vehicles and the valuables within are safe.
As it relates to Victoria Road, no parking is allowed on that road, because it will be used as the emergency route.
Adams warned motorists that parking in “No Parking” zones makes their vehicles eligible to be towed at their own expense. According to Adams, the restrictions will be put in place from midnight Wednesday until the end of the Festival.