by Kevon Browne
St. Kitts and Nevis (WINN) – Six young people from St Thomas’ Parish, Constituency 5, Nevis, have been named as the Awardees of the 3rd annual St Thomas’ Parish Youth Excellence Award.
The awardees were announced by Hon. Latoya Jones, Deputy Speaker and Senator in the St. Kitts and Nevis House of Assembly, on her Facebook page.
Jones wrote, “I’m thrilled to announce the 2023 awardees of the St. Thomas’ Parish Youth Excellence Award. Please join me in offering hearty congratulations to our awardees:
- Bryton Nisbett in Digital Creation
- Dijonne Hanley in Education and Learning
- Chris Clarke – Volunteerism
- Vincia Hendrickson – Nursing
- Dalvern Williams – Policing
- Nayala Daniel – Performing Arts
Congratulations on your incredible success. Thank you for your invaluable contribution to our society. We are truly proud of your accomplishments in your respective fields.”
In speaking with WINN on April 20, Jones shared that young people are recommended by people in the St Thomas’ Parish to a group of individuals, after which a background check is done on the recommended young people.
They must be between 18-29, after which six recipients are chosen based on their work within the community to acknowledge young people.
“It’s Just my way of recognising young people in the area who do outstanding [things], who [perform well]. And it’s not just that it’s what they do [for] their community as well; they give back, and it’s good to show appreciation.” – Hon. Latoya Jones.
Past recipients of the St. Thomas’ Parish Youth Excellence Awards in 2021 and 2022 include:
- Jevon Vallet – Health and Security
- Romario Daniel – Football
- Erleon David – Photography and Music Production
- Ercha Stapleton – Education
- Chitroutie Doorbejai – Farming
- Tameich Reid – Firefighting
- Geval Wallace – Athletics
- Keishara Liburd – Academics and Volunteerism
- Vincia Sturge – Veterinary Health and Entrepreneurship
- Travis Reid – Firefighting
- Hillarine Hercules – Policing
- Jahvian Barrett – Music
The award ceremony and dinner will be held on May 4, 2023, at Dew Drops Restaurant and Bar, where officials from the Department of Youth – Nevis, Premier of Nevis Hon. Mark Brantley, the Minister of Youth Hon. Troy Liburd and others are expected to attend.