24.1 C
Basseterre
Thursday, June 30, 2022
HomeSportsWTA suspends tournaments in China over concerns for tennis player

WTA suspends tournaments in China over concerns for tennis player

spot_img

(Sky News) All WTA tournaments have been suspended in China over concerns for the safety of player Peng Shuai.

The head of the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) said it was taking the step after Peng, a Grand Slam doubles champion, accused a former high-ranking government official in China of sexual assault.

Peng dropped out of public view after raising the allegations about former vice premier Zhang Gaoli in a social media posting that was quickly taken down by Chinese authorities.

“Unfortunately, the leadership in China has not addressed this very serious issue in any credible way,” WTA chairman and CEO Steve Simon wrote in a statement distributed by the tour.

“While we now know where Peng is, I have serious doubts that she is free, safe, and not subject to censorship, coercion, and intimidation.”

Mr Simon repeated his call for a “full and transparent investigation – without censorship” into Peng’s accusations and took an unusually strong stand against China, which was supposed to be the site of several tennis tournaments next year, including the prestigious season-ending WTA Finals.

“In good conscience, I don’t see how I can ask our athletes to compete there when Peng Shuai is not allowed to communicate freely and has seemingly been pressured to contradict her allegation of sexual assault,” he said.

“Given the current state of affairs, I am also greatly concerned about the risks that all of our players and staff could face if we were to hold events in China in 2022.”

Beijing is set to host the Winter Olympics beginning on 4 February, and International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach said last month that he had spoken with Peng on a video call.

The IOC did not release video or a transcript of the exchange and said only that Bach reported she said she was well.

The organisation said in a statement that Peng appeared to be “doing fine” and that she had requested privacy.

The IOC did not explain how the call was arranged, although it has worked closely with the Chinese Olympic Committee and government officials to organise the upcoming Olympics.

Critics have suggested Peng would not have called the IOC if she was truly free to speak.

“If powerful people can suppress the voices of women and sweep allegations of sexual assault under the rug, then the basis on which the WTA was founded – equality for women – would suffer an immense setback,” Mr Simon said.

“I will not and cannot let that happen to the WTA and its players.”

spot_img
spot_img

Most Popular

Advertisement
Contact a Program
If you are interested in a program or advertising, send us a message.
Send Message
Signup for our Newsletter
We'll only be in touch when we've something exciting to share.
We never share your details
No thanks
Subscribe