(Trinidad Express) – HOMELAND Security Minister Roger Alexander yesterday dismissed concerns over the absence of a formally appointed acting commissioner of police, insisting there is “no issue” with the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) and that its leadership structure allows the service to function in the absence of Commissioner of Police Allister Guevarro.
In an interview with TV6 yesterday, Alexander said Deputy Commissioner of Police Junior Benjamin, as the most senior officer currently available, is leading the Service in the interim.
The issue arose after Opposition chairman Marvin Gonzales questioned Guevarro’s whereabouts and whether arrangements had been made for an acting commissioner during his absence. A senior police officer confirmed Guevarro had applied for emergency leave but could not say whether he had left the country.
Gonzales said he had received information that Guevarro had left the jurisdiction and questioned whether the Police Service Commission (PolSC) had made arrangements for an acting commissioner.
Benjamin told the Express on Sunday that although he is currently the TTPS’s most senior officer, he had not received an instrument formally appointing him to act as commissioner of police.




